June '98 Table of Contents
- Out of Balance
- The environment gets short shrift at City Hall.
- Hidden costs of water transfers
- Moving water around discourages conservation.
- Sport utility vehicle sleight-of-hand
- The Big 3 resort to accounting tricks to avoid auto
Abandoned wells pose threat in
San Diego County
- World is economically richer
and environmentally poorer
- New Worldwatch study documents the state of the world.
- 34,000 species of plants in 200
countries threatened with extinction
Smoggy ozone found over
tropical paradise islands
- Widespread fires cause high altitude pollution.
- Getting to the root of the problem
- A lack of understanding impedes solutions to environmental
- Exports of hazardous pesticides
from U.S. ports increase
- It's not legal here, so they ship it overseas.
- Mammals, fish, birds, amphibians,
reptiles suffering major declines
- Extinction rates are 100 to 1000 times normal.
- Clean, quiet, cool and ready
for the road
- The first street-ready, fuel cell powered car.
In Your Garden
- Pest and disease control for
- Easy, non-toxic solutions for rose pests.
Diet & Health Natural
- Vitamin E retained two times
better than synthetic
- All Vitamin E sources are not equivalent.
- The taste buds like and the
- Green Restaurant review.
- Scientists seek early warning
of drinking water threats
- Building an early warning system for pathogens that
may be able to slip through current water purification processes.
- New food safety steps for imports
- Food safety laws are in place if they are adequately
San Diego EarthWorks
- Saying goodbye
- EarthWorks' Kari Gray moves on.
Observations from the Edge
- Particles of Paradise
- Looking for a new model for society.
- Reality Check #436 - Speaking
- Our resident eco-radical looks at the electoral process,
Old Blue Eyes, and society.