January Organic Gardening Tips
provided courtesy of Grangetto's Farm & Garden, Escondido, Rancho
Santa Fe, Fallbrook, and Valley Center
- Plant cool season vegetables and bare root perennials such as artichokes,
asparagus and rhubarb.
- Continue to plant cool season color such as pansies, snapdragons, violas
- Apply diatomaceous earth products to control snails also remove leaves
to prevent snail hiding and breeding places.
- Clean up leaves around fruit trees to prevent the spread of peach leaf
curl and other stone fruit diseases.
- Mulch garden with compost to prevent unwanted weed growth and maintain
- Prune roses and fruit trees to maximize blooms. Plant bare root roses
where appropriate, utilize organic planting medium to improve soil condition.